Our students perform very well on standardized tests:
Explore is a test taken by our 8th graders for placement into public high school courses. We have a great track record with 94% of our graduates eligible for advanced and/or honors classes at surrounding high schools.
Our Explore Test Scores from 2011 to 2014
Terra Nova is an annual test taken by all Catholic elementary schools within the Archdiocese of Chicago. Students from 3rd to 7th grade are tested on Science, Language Arts, Social Studies, Math and Reading comprehension. Our students consistently score well above the Archdiocesan average in all subjects. Our Science and Language Arts scores are well above Vicariate and Deanery’s averages. This year
- 8% of students scored above the 90th% in all five subject areas
- 6% of our scores were in the 99th%, the highest score possible.
Vicariate 1 – includes all Catholic schools in the northern Cook and Lake Counties
Deanery 1F – includes St. Alphonsus, St. Emily, St. Raymond, and St. Zachary Catholic Schools
From full-day preschool through 8th grade, your child’s learning experience is customized by our superb faculty. We meet our students at their academic level, using differentiated instruction to help them achieve their full potential. Our record speaks for itself:
- 96% of our students perform above the national average on standardized testing.
- 94% of our graduates are eligible to take advanced placement and honors coursework in high school.
Informed by the curriculum framework from the Archdiocese of Chicago’s Office of Catholic Schools, our Blue Ribbon School’s S.T.E.A.M. curriculum (Science-Technology-Engineering-Arts-Math) exceeds rigorous National, State, and Common Core Standards. Highlights include:
- Superb science – Students hatch ducks, build atoms, and participate in science fair, Academy Science and Math (enrichment), science club, and science camps.
- Engaging language arts – Literature and creative writing are favorites among our middle school students. Daily quick writes hone skills.
- Fine arts programs – Incorporate music, art, foreign language, and drama into our curriculum.
- Multi-subject design of projects – Students sharpen critical thinking skills and teachers coordinate reinforcement of concepts across classes and subject areas.
- Frequent educational field trips for every grade – Washington DC and Springfield trips are highlights for our middle school students.
- Constantly evolving technology infrastructure – Chromebooks, iPads, and an upgraded Wi-Fi network are the latest additions.
- Quality application of technology – Students use contemporary online tools to productively collaborate with each other and teachers in a safe environment.